IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
• PRIMARY NESTING SEASON - March 15th - July 15 - NO CRP Contract Management ALLOWED
• FARM LOAN Personnel in Kiowa County Service Center – Tuesday, May 8th
• FSA County Committee Meeting – June 5th
• CRP Continuous Signup - CRP Grassland OFFERS ONLY. Producers interested are urged to contact FSA Office. NOW!! - File form CCC-633 EZ page 1 with FSA before losing beneficial interest to maintain Loan Deficiency Payment (LDP) eligibility. (To request payments, producers need to submit page 2 of the CCC-633EZ)
• 2018 ARCPLC Enrollment deadline - August 1, 2018
Disclaimer: Information in this UPDATE is pertinent to Kiowa County FSA only. Producers reading this and that do not have FSA interest in Kiowa County are advised to contact their local FSA Office.
It was good to see some rain on the 20th, to settle the dirt. It seemed to have helped the condition of the winter wheat, however of course the area will need additional moisture as it’s a long time until harvest. The 10-day forecast doesn’t have our area receiving any moisture, but the temp’s are in the 70’s.
CORN PLANTING DATE
Reminder to producers planting corn in Kiowa County, RMA (Risk Management Agency) extended the final plant date for Kiowa County to May 31st beginning for 2018 crop year, the previous final plant date was May 25th.
As Kiowa County is diverse in soils and weather conditions, producers are urged to report drought impacts and those impacts are reviewed by the Drought Monitor Author and the employees at the Colorado Climate Center. Producers can report their impacts @ http://droughtreporter.unl.edu/submitreport, users can click on the ‘new report’, type in address, or use county name, there are eight questions, and however answers to all questions are not required.
Another website to report drought impacts is https://cocorahs.org/Maps/conditionmonitoring/, however producers reporting on this site must be CoCoRaHS volunteers. Producers who are not volunteers and would like more information about becoming one, contact Karen or Jeramy at the Kiowa County Extension Office. The important item to remember about being a CoCoRaHS volunteer is that consistent reporting must occur. Only reporting when it does rain, is not considered consistent reporting.
APRIL PLC RATES
The 2017 Price Loss Coverage (PLC) payments for producers who elected PLC will not be issued until October. However, the marketing year for wheat, barley and oats will end May 31st. On April 10th FSA received an updated projection for 2017 PLC payments. Barley and grain sorghum, lost 5 cents from March t0 April, all other crops remained the same. The projected PLC payment rates currently are:
Wheat - .85 bu.
Barley - .45 bu.
Oats – zero
Corn - .35 bu.
Grain Sorghum - .75 bu.
Sunflowers - .0265 cwt.
Kiowa County FSA Committee
• Destiny Haase - LAA 2 – Central area – Committee Chairperson
• Sean Harkness – LAA 1 – East area – Committee Vice-Chairperson
• Michael Zimmerman – LAA3 – West area – Committee Regular Member
USDA SERVICE CENTER CONTACT INFORMATION
Telephone 719-438-5851 FSA (Ext 2), NRCS (Ext 3). FSA Fax number: fax2mail 844-332-7501
KIOWA COUNTY FARM LOAN CONTACT INFO – CALL FOR AN APPOINTMENT
SERVICE CENTER OFFICE HOURS:
Monday through Friday - 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday, by appointment only.
For information on programs visit our website located at www.fsa.usda.gov or like us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter.